Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Introduction and Purpose

December 2007 I created a list of ‘Post-Dissertation’ activities to help motivate me to complete the final work of my Masters in Applied Theology. It worked, along with the kicks from my colleagues here. (‘Dissertation’ being the European equivalent of the Masters’ Thesis)

And now with the initials “MTh” humbly settled behind my name, it’s time to get serious about ticking the points off my list. Indeed the list has begun to shorten, but one item steadily remains and is the impetus for this blog:

Running a half-marathon!

Following a summer holiday to Estonia and being motivated by a friend’s brother who runs full marathons, I began running – well, shuffling for now– through the beautiful Šárka Valley here in Prague 6.

Up until then, my long distance running consisted of the length of a basketball court and back. Now, still at the beginning of this endeavor, I struggle to get beyond three kilometers before finding an excuse to pause – bug in my eye, blowing my nose, hiding from dogs…

It’s not easy! I’m told a regular human being can run a half marathon in about two hours. Thus far, I’m only a regular human being enough to run 30 minutes before collapsing… there’s a long road of training ahead!

But I won’t quit! Because I’ve now committed not to run for the sake of wearing some number on my back on 28 March and parade through the Prague streets, but for a purpose.

I’ve titled this Web-log the Jubilee Jog through Prague, because the International Baptist Theological Seminary, where I presently work (and graduated from) is celebrating it’s 60th year as an institution and I’m running in support and celebration of this event. If it weren’t for this, I think I would have stopped donning my Nike running shoes two days after my first run/shuffle!

Sponsor me & support our seminary & students!

A marathon is 21,097 kilometres, so there are options! You can pledge a few dollars, euros, pounds, crowns or rubles per kilometre – which hopefully will be a complete 21.097 or one total lump sum! All to go towards celebrating our IBTS 60 years of seminary training.

Reguarly on this Web-log you can read the highs and lows of my training, who has pledged their support and maybe even of some who wish to join me on the run!!!

2 comments:

'Christian faith is purposeful participation in the life, ministry & victory of Jesus Christ' said...

amazing what people will do out of love ..... :)

Anonymous said...

I see you have another comment now - with picture!