Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Tula, Eat Something!"

This has been the advice and rebuke of friends and colleagues as I continue my attempt in this 21km run. These last weeks I came to place where my body wasn't any more sore or in pain than normal, but I simply had no energy and could push myself no longer and was stuck between 10 - 12km - depressingly I thought that was the end of my half-marathon hopes.

"EAT protein!"

Tuna, peanuts, beans, eggs, red meat... mmmm, and certainly my beloved sausages. Thus I zealously began my over-eating adventure. Maybe 'over-eating' is a bit strong, maybe 'excess' or even 'sufficient eating' is more appropriate. Nonetheless, homemade tuna melts on Friday and a juicy steak on Saturday was a good start to a few days of lots of food (compared to my normal eating regime). And I can't complain - I like good food.

It works!

I completely surprised myself today, when at the gym I ran 16 kilometres - which means yes, only five more to the goal! With a little more than 2 months of training to go, if I keep at it (eating & running) I'm sure to be able to make it! Barring injury and illness. I can't stop smiling.

Ooof, but regardless how much tuna I have eaten, I'm sure to have sore muscles tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rachael Neal said...

you know...i was wondering what your "eating regimine" looked like. i haven't seen you so thin in years!! don't get me wrong, you look great. but i'm always wondering...what's the secret.

keep up the good work. can't wait to see pictures of your running adventure!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I've never been the size I am now - unless you count like when I was thirteen :) Now finally getting some muscle back though. Last few years I've been a pitiful weakling!