Saturday, December 6, 2008

Yea, though I run the valley of the shadow...

It's dark!!!

Prague's thus far mild winter has allowed me to remain outdoors for my running regime. Though I love snow, this winter I am secretly & selfishly thankful for global warming.

However, the characteristically short days of the season have sadly not changed. Leaving to run around four pm, again thanks to a gracious boss, I return to IBTS it is in a dark haze.

I come across very few people at this time in the evening now and when I do, it's not until I'm just on top of them that I know if this person is male or female, with a bike, a dog or a shopping bag or the person is actually a tree.

If you can speak it is common courtesy to greet people you come across in the Šárka trails. So when I see I am approaching a fellow path-walker/runner, I gather up all the breath I can muster to give a "I'm-not-completely-exhausted" hello!

Yesterday as I got out the 'dobry' of 'dobry den', the second person gave a friendly "Hello, Vanessa". Talk about shock! A few strides later I realised who it was and was able to holler back a friendly greeting of my own.

All that behind me, I'm off soon with a dear friend to enjoy the Prague-ham and sausages of the Christmas markets in Prague today, then return to have a feast for another friend's birthday celebration - looks to be a very demanding Saturday!
I love Prague.

No comments: