Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dupas Make the Difference

Living in a community comprised of people from varying countries and languages, soon the community develops its own culture and along with that its own language. IBTS is not an exception and the term 'dupa' is evidence of this. It is doubtful that in any proper language this word carries meaning, but for some long-termers at IBTS, 'dupa' is a gentle term for one's backside. Whilst running along my normal route a second path merged into mine, which had two men jogging side by side. After the paths met they commenced running a bit in front of me and an odd thing began to happen. The distance between us was lessening and slowly I was next to them and slipped passed them.

No, I do not have aspirations to be the next Marion Jones (please disregard the whole doping business in that comment), but it gave me a bit of push to think that perhaps I'm on the right track and this half-marathon is more do-able than I first thought.

Continuing my little jog I then reflected on the possible reasons I was able to pass these two. (Could they be fellow trainees in the forthcoming half-marathon?) The explanations could be many, but the most likely in this particular instance was simply the element of dupa size. Smaller dupa = swifter feet... for some time at least.

No comments: